(NaturalHealth365) More and more people are discovering the health benefits of spirulina – every day. Often referred to as blue-green algae, spirulina is a complete source of protein loaded with essential amino acids, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants which help protect us from cellular damage. This miraculous superfood can improve cardiovascular health; liver and brain function and, even help to prevent cancer.
The magic behind spirulina should not be underestimated
Spirulina is simply a type of cyanobacteria. It’s classified a bacteria because they do not possess a membrane bound nucleus. However, unlike most (typical) bacteria, cyanobacteria possess chlorophyll which allows them to gain energy from the sun – same as plants and algae.
One of the main attractions about spirulina is that it is one of the world’s richest sources of protein with over 60 percent of its weight in amino acids. But, aside from being nutritionally dense, spirulina has been shown to prevent, even reverse many health problems. I think everyone should consider eating some spirulina – on a daily basis. Here’s why:
• Rich in antioxidants – spirulina has vitamin E, carotenoids, selenium and phenolic acids. We all know that free radicals can disturb cell function. Well, the good news is, antioxidants help to eliminate the threat of free radical damage – which in turn reduces our risk for developing diseases such as, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, cancer, diabetes and systemic infections.
• Great antimicrobial properties – according to research, spirulina can help destroy an array of harmful bacteria and viruses, including influenza A, herpes simplex, measles, mumps, and HIV-1. Spirulina stimulates the immune system to produce monocytes, macrophages and natural killer cells to help protect the body against disease-causing organisms.
• Kills yeast infections – spirulina destroys fungal pathogens such as, Candida albicans. Moreover, it also destroys other pathogens such as, Aspergillus fumigatus and Aspergillus niger.
• Want to improve your respiratory system? Spirulina is known to benefit people with chronic breathing disorders such as, allergic rhinitis and even asthma. A single dose of spirulina per day can dramatically improve lung function and relieve symptoms of bronchial asthma and allergic reactions.
• A wealth of nutrition in a single serving. Think about all the starving people in Africa. Spirulina offers a practical (renewable) solution for the underweight and malnourished of the world. Maybe Bill Gates will see this report and focus more of his money on nutritional solutions – instead of vaccination programs.
• Diabetics can naturally regulate blood sugar. It is widely-known that chlorophyll helps the body to absorb minerals and assist in cellular repair – especially in the pancreas of type-2 diabetics. About 6 – 12 grams of spirulina or chlorella per day could prove very helpful for diabetics.
• Great for weight loss. Spirulina can maximize your fat burning capabilities and increase your level of satisfaction with eating fewer calories. In other words, if you take enough spirulina – you won’t feel as hungry.
• Create healthy teeth and gums. Remember how I told you about the value of chlorophyll? In 1941, an American dentist, S. L. Goldberg, successfully treated 300 patients suffering from pyorrhoea (bleeding gums and loosening teeth) with liquid chlorophyll. In addition, he discovered that those who were also suffering from Vincent’s disease, a gum infection, which is caused by lack of B-complex vitamins and exacerbated by stress, also improved significantly.
• Strong bones – without the need for milk. Calcium, one of the most abundant mineral in the human body, is important for bone and dental health as well as neural transmissions to the muscles. And, surprising to most people, spirulina has as much calcium, gram for gram, as milk.
Where do I get good quality spirulina?
First of all, be sure to only purchase organic spirulina – since many brands contain harmful additives and heavy metals which can produce potentially-harmful side effects. I, personally, add some spirulina to my tall glass of water – every morning. But, if you want an easier way to hide the taste – you can add it to your favorite smoothie.
Ideally, you must take 1-2 tablespoons per day, but you can take more during illness or pregnancy.
If you’re looking to purchase spirulina – I suggest you visit the NaturalNews Store for a variety of quality selections. And, naturally, always consult a trusted healthcare provider before taking any nutritional product – especially if you are suffering with any health issues.
About the author: Jonathan Landsman is the managing director of NaturalHealth365.com and host of the NaturalNews Talk Hour – a free, weekly health show sponsored by NaturalHealth365.com and NaturalNews.com. Jonathan is helping millions of people worldwide create health and physical fitness through a variety of educational and entertaining articles, teleconference calls, live shows and special events.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY! Click here to join the NaturalNews Inner Circle – a monthly (online) subscription offering exclusive audio interviews, video events, natural health product discounts, free gifts plus much more!