14 cancer-fighting foods for optimal health
(NaturalHealth365) Research over the past decade has shown without a doubt, that what you eat has a profound effect on your overall cancer risk. The simple truth is that an anti-cancer diet doesn’t look that different from the healthy foods you should be eating anyway. That means plenty of organic fruits and vegetables, as well as grass fed meats (if you like) and wild fish – from the purest regions of the world.
To compile a list of cancer fighting foods would require a list of most fruits, vegetables, protein and herbs. Some foods will fight inflammation which fuels cancer growth. Many of these foods actually trigger cancer cell death, while other foods help the body to remove toxins and protect against free radical damage. The main point: Healthy organic foods can attack any illness on some level or another.
The best foods to start attacking cancer cell
Basically, the exact opposite of the Standard American Diet (SAD). Be sure to eat plenty of organic foods that include colorful vegetables, fruits, beans, healthy fats, garlic, herbs, spices and lean proteins. While this is not a complete list, let’s take a look at a few highlights:
1. Beans: Beans offer many phytochemicals along with fiber. Phytochemicals, such as saponins, have the ability to inhibit cancer cell reproduction, protease inhibitors slow the division of cancer cells, and phytic acid which also slows the progression of tumors are all components of beans. Beans contain folate – a B vitamin that reduces the risk of pancreatic cancer.
2. Black seeds (and its oil): Also known as black cumin, black cumin seed, or black seed – there are currently 656 peer reviewed studies on this amazing food. This seed has the ability to stabilize and strengthen the immune system. Dr. Hwyda Arafar M.D., PhD used black cumin in the treatment of pancreatic cancer patients with astounding results of 80% cell death.
3. Carrots: Carrots are packed with beta-carotene, an antioxidant that scientists believe protects cell membranes from toxin damage and slow the growth of cancer cells. Plus, because carrots supply antioxidants, they can help battle HPV. Carrots may also prove to be beneficial in the treatment of leukemia.
Do NOT ignore the health dangers linked to toxic indoor air. These chemicals - the 'off-gassing' of paints, mattresses, carpets and other home/office building materials - increase your risk of headaches, dementia, heart disease and cancer.
Get the BEST indoor air purification system - at the LOWEST price, exclusively for NaturalHealth365 readers. I, personally use this system in my home AND office. Click HERE to order now - before the sale ends.
4. Cruciferous vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables such as Bok Choy, broccoli, cabbage, kale, collards and cauliflower contain sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinols (I3Cs). These are two potent cancer fighters. They help to detoxify the body and help precancerous cells from developing into malignant tumors.
In studies conducted by the World Cancer Research Fund and the American Institute for Cancer, broccoli and other cruciferous veggies were most protective against mouth, esophagus and stomach cancers. You may also consider eating broccoli sprouts, for an even greater nutritional boost.
5. Garlic: The same sulfur compounds that give garlic its strong odor can stop cancer causing substances from forming in your body, speed up DNA repair and kill cancer cells. Don’t forget to include other foods from the alliaceous group; onions, leeks, shallots and chives. The sulfur in this group of foods can trigger the death of prostate, colon, breast and lung cancer cells.
6. Ginger: Ginger has powerful anti-inflammatory properties and can slow cancer growth. The spicy root is also helpful for relieving nausea, migraines, sore muscles and arthritis. The anti-inflammatory power of ginger kills ovarian cancer cells in a test tube faster than chemo, according to a study done at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center.
7. Grapes and resveratrol: Research shows that resveratrol offers numerous health benefits including, reducing inflammation, and preventing oxidation of LDL cholesterol. It is also helps to limit the spread of cancer cells and triggers cancer cell death. If you are looking to increase your resveratrol intake consider consuming grapes, blueberries, cranberries and pomegranate each of which offer a wide range of antioxidants. (Just be sure to avoid those sugary, “seedless” varieties of grapes)
8. Green tea: Rich in polyphenols and catechins, in particular EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate). EGCG is tough on cancer cells. This potent antioxidant helps detoxify the liver and retards cancer growth. Lab studies have found that catechins in green tea can shrink tumors and reduce tumor cell growth.
9. Pomegranate: This fruit offers anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. Studies show this fruit can significantly inhibit the growth of prostate cancer cells. If buying juice, be sure to read labels as bottled juice usually contains very high amounts of sugar and are usually overly-processed to be worth buying.
10. Sea vegetables: Kelp, kombu, hijiki, nori and arame are potent mineral and vitamin rich foods that can easily be added to soups, salads, rice or noodle dishes. Sea vegetables offer a host of nutritional and healing benefits.
For example, kelp helps remove radioactive particles and heavy metals from the body. Kombu helps lower blood pressure and is abundant in iodine, carotenes, B, C, D and E vitamins and is also a high protein seaweed that also contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, silica, iron, and zinc.
In addition, hijiki boosts natural killer T-cells for disease protection. Nori is rich in all the carotenes, calcium, iron, iodine and phosphorous. Plus, arame is one of the richest sources of iodine. By the way, herbalists use arame to help reduce breast and uterine fibroids. Dried seaweeds can also be powdered to use in detox baths.
11. Spinach: This versatile green food contains lutein and zeaxanthin. These carotenoids remove unstable molecules and free radicals from your body. They are also found in other dark green leafy vegetables.
Interesting to note, an NIH/AARP study of more than 490,000 people found that individuals who ate more spinach were less likely to develop esophageal cancer. Some studies suggest the carotenoids in spinach and other foods reduce the risk of ovarian, endometrial, lung, and colorectal cancer, too.
12. Strawberries: This berry is rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C and ellagic acid. Plus, the ellagic acid – in strawberries – has anti-cancer properties which supercharge the enzymes to slow the growth of tumors.
All berries contain powerful antioxidants, which means they naturally halt the process in the body that creates free radicals that damage your cells. Additional berries rich in flavonoids such as raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and cranberries are also powerful antioxidants and considered a protective food. Just be sure to buy chemical-free varieties – for obvious reasons.
13. Tomatoes: Lycopene is a highly concentrated antioxidant in tomatoes. Numerous studies suggest that a diet rich in lycopene is linked to a lower risk of prostate cancer.
In lab tests, lycopene has stopped other types of cancer cells from growing including breast, lung and endometrial. Other foods that contain lycopene include watermelon, pink grapefruit and red bell peppers. And, while regular consumption of tomatoes and peppers are associated with lower risks of several cancers, especially prostate cancer, it has a downside, which is solanine. In other words, if you have any inflammation in your body, consuming foods with solanine is highly likely to worsen and aggravate the situation.
14. Turmeric: Curcumin is one of the most powerful antioxidants found in turmeric and has numerous health benefits. It has been studied extensively for its ability to kill numerous cancer lines. James A. Duke, an ethnobotanist published comprehensive summaries of 700 turmeric studies.
In no way is this the complete list of anti-cancer foods – but, hopefully, this short list give you some extra motivation to take better care of yourself by eating better.
“The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” – Ann Wigmore
About the author: After sixteen years of struggling with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) Elisha McFarland recovered her health through alternative and natural healing methods. It was this experience that encouraged her to pursue an education in natural health. She has the following designations: Bachelor of Science in Holistic Nutrition, Certified Wholistic Rejuvenist, Diploma in Clinical Homeopathy, Doctor of Naturopathy, EFT-ADV, and Master Herbalist. You can visit her website at MyHealthMaven.com
Cancer & Hearth Disease
Natural Health 365
Natural Health 365 is a premium source of trending and popular health-related news, science, testimony & research articles on the most up to date and relevant natural health information. The Food & Nutrition articles found herein are meant to inform and advise our site visitors on eating healthy, nutritious foods and safely using supplements and vitamins to achieve optimal health.
Join thousands of daily visitors staying informed and involved on Natural Health 365! We seek out scientific solutions with proven results and it is our mission to keep you up to date on the latest information! Articles range in topic from the causes of cancer, cancer-fighting foods, to natural cancer treatments, cancer prevention & specific research-backed information on Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, etc. We also write extensively on Heart Disease because it is accounts for 25% of all deaths in the United States – that’s one in four! We take an in depth look at the symptoms of heart disease, the causes and treatment of high blood pressure, benefits of CoQ10 and healthy, natural ways to unclog arteries.
Read Some of Our Most Popular Articles
Grape Seed Extract More Effective than Chemotherapy, Olive Oil is AWESOME, Store Bought Almond Milk is Basically Just Sugar Water, Antioxidants, Cancer & Blueberries.
More Food & Nutrition Articles
Fresh Organic Produce Fights Cancer, Susan G. Komen on Organic Foods, Hemp Seeds for Inflammation, Pau D’Arco For Improved Immunity
In addition to publishing articles on cutting edge natural cancer treatments and heart disease prevention, we also aim to connect healthy lifestyles, diets and balanced consumption of dietary supplements to long-lasting cancer-free health and adding happy years to your life. For example, did you know that the amount of emotional stress in your life can contribute to your risk of cancer? Or that raw, expeller-pressed olive oil has cancer fighting qualities? Perhaps you didn’t know that Fresh Organic Produce has been found to have higher concentrations of key, cancer-fighting anti-oxidants and vitamins than conventional produce? You can find all of that information and more right here on Natural Health 365.
Join Our Email List
Each day, visitors sign up for our weekly informative news sent directly to their email or RSS feed agregator. We send out three weekly emails keeping you informed and involved on the latest Natural Health News, information about our FREE SHOWS and updates on your favorite topics including Food & Nutrition, Cancer & Heart Disease, Vaccines & Autism, & – of course – GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals!
You can also check out our VIP member area, The Inner Circle, where you get access to thousands of recorded interview (audio/video), pod casts, & literature by some of the worlds foremost experts on Natural Health and Treatments that could save you thousands! Learn how to REVERSE disease without the use of toxic and expensive medications.
Natural Health 365 also is a venue for webinars on various topics, has a flourishing e-commerce store where you can purchase vitamins, pro biotics, supplements and unique products such as Grazing Goat Whey Protein.
Grazing Goat Whey Protein™ is formulated exclusively for the health-conscious consumer looking for the finest whey protein nutritional supplement on the planet.* Best of all, this goat whey protein comes from goats that graze – 365 days per year – on pesticide and chemical free pastures. No hormones, antibiotics or pesticides are used – ever. This product is non-GMO and gluten free.