Need a mental boost? Discover one of the best brain health supplements
(NaturalHealth365) Brain health supplements like fish oil and PQQ are quite popular these days among health-conscious consumers. But, we can’t say we’re surprised – especially when you consider that 50 million people (worldwide) have some form of dementia. And, even though the numbers don’t look good – this condition is avoidable.
Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, do you know what PQQ stands for? To clarify, PQQ is the abbreviation for pyrroloquinoline quinone. As a natural health supplement, this compound offers several promising benefits.
PQQ foods and supplements offers 7 amazing brain health benefits, according to research
PQQ is a vitamin-like antioxidant compound produced naturally in your body and is involved in multiple physiological processes and cell signaling pathways. PQQ is particularly concentrated in human breast milk, but is also found in the soil and certain foods.
Various studies in both humans and animals have revealed some impressive health benefits of PQQ, including:
- Decreased inflammation and oxidative stress: Studies reveal that PQQ supplementation lowers key biomarkers of chronic inflammation, including C-reactive protein and interleukin-6. PQQ can also help neutralize free radicals, which are emitted as a by-product of human metabolism and can cause oxidative damage to cells and tissues. All this matters in a big way – because inflammation and oxidative stress are associated with accelerated aging and chronic health conditions including diabetes, cancer, and dementia.
- Improved brain function: Because of PQQ’s powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect, this natural compound has been shown to boost memory, preserve attention, and protect against cognitive decline which is common (but not “normal”) in aging adults. This natural supplement is especially promising for people recovering from traumatic brain injuries and strokes because it promotes improved cell health and repair. Research to support PQQ’s brain-boosting benefits include a 2016 randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial – a very strong study design.
- Increased longevity: By optimizing mitochondrial function, reducing oxidative stress, and increasing cellular health and energy, PQQ is believed to be a powerful anti-aging agent. Even as we await more studies in humans, we already know PQQ supplementation can extend lifespan in animals.
- Enhanced mitochondrial function: Just a single dose of a PQQ supplement enhances mitochondrial activity, as indicated by an increased concentration of certain metabolites in the urine. It’s thought that PQQ activates gene expression pathways that support mitochondrial function. In case you’re wondering, healthy mitochondria (which provide energy to your cells) is essential for proper health overall.
- Improved blood cholesterol levels: PQQ has been found to reduce levels of LDL cholesterol – meaning it could help slash this risk factor of heart disease.
- Improved liver health: Supplementing a mouse’s diet with PQQ has been shown to reduce liver inflammation and reduce the risk of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Incredibly, as many as 30 to 40% of Americans are living with NAFLD. And, now, many scientists and physicians believe PQQ offers a promising natural healing solution for these individuals.
- Improved sleep: A 2012 study from Functional Foods in Health & Disease found that people who took a PQQ supplement for two months fell asleep faster, stayed asleep for longer, and felt more rested when they woke up.
We won’t call it a wonder drug – because it’s not a drug. What we will say is that PQQ is proving to be an incredibly healthy and beneficial natural compound for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Want to add more PQQ to your diet? Here’s where you can find it – and how much you should take
Add these items to your grocery list and incorporate them into your diet often to get more PQQ in your system:
- Kiwi fruit
- Green tea
- Oolong tea
To ensure you’re getting enough PQQ, you may also consider taking a high quality supplement. There’s no specific dosage recommendation, but many studies have found beneficial effects when people take 20 milligrams per day.
Your best bet? Experiment with the dosage and see what works the most effectively for you.
Editor’s note: The NaturalHealth365 Store offers the finest quality source of PQQ in a nutritional supplement. Click here to learn more.
Sources for this article include: