Flame Retardants found in everyday household items linked to chronic diseases!
It turns out the stuff you have in your house is probably toxic!
(NaturalHealth365) Due to American popularity of cigarettes and the major fires they caused in the 1970s, flame-retardant chemicals were developed. The tobacco industry was urged to make self-extinguishing cigarettes. Instead, they created a front group called the National Association of State Fire Marshalls – which pushed for laws requiring fire-retardant furniture.
In 1975, California laws led to a national standard requiring furniture manufacturers to douse their couches and mattresses with flame retardant chemicals. Since then, flame retardant has been applied to most household items such as furniture, electronics, and even baby products. And, no surprise to health conscious consumers, studies are proving that these toxic chemicals are contributing to chronic disease and attention deficit problems in children.
Without consent: Our youngest children are being exposed to toxic chemicals
Since national standards were established requiring fire-retardant furniture, nearly all household items in the United States contain harmful flame retardant chemicals. This includes furniture such as couches and mattresses, electronics, appliances, and even baby products. Some of the items – with the heaviest chemicals usage – include:
- Sofas / Couches: A study published in Environmental Science & Technology revealed that nearly all samples of foam from sofas contain flame retardant – 85 percent to be exact.
- Mattresses: Regarding all mattresses, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission ruled a safety standard to include flame retardant beginning July 1, 2007 – flame retardant that is so heavy that mattresses won’t catch fire if exposed to a blowtorch.
- Car Seats: According to the latest research, a non-profit corporation called the Ecology Center found nearly three-quarters (73%) of children’s car seats with hazardous halogenated flame retardants and over half contained non-halogenated organophosphate flame retardants (of which some are hazardous).
- Children’s Products: Another study published in Environmental Science & Technology conducted tests for flame retardant chemicals in 101 baby products which included car seats, changing table pads, nursing pillows, portable crib mattresses, infant sleep positioners, and more. Products tested proved 80 percent of them contained a known and identifiable flame retardant. All but one of these flame retardants were either brominated or chlorinated.
HBO documentary reveal 3 disturbing facts about the link between flame retardants and chronic disease
A documentary entitled “Toxic Hot Seat” was recently aired on HBO – which is based on a Chicago Tribune comprehensive investigation of flame retardant chemicals. Check out the powerful message in the trailer (below) about a film that highlights some of the most disturbing facts about these toxins.
1. Fires are more toxic. Flame retardants applied to products do NOT forbid them from catching fire (which may be a surprise to most people). However, the chemicals do give off higher levels of smoke, soot, and carbon monoxide. Hence, these three things are more deadly than the burns obtained from fire.
2. Toxic household dust is created. Trisphosphate (TDCPP) is the most widely used flame retardant in the United States today. It is used in furniture and most baby products. Household dust is created from the foam of most of these items, and children often pick them up with their hands as they crawl around on the floor.
Since small children have a habit of putting their hands in their mouths, this creates a health risk for children. In fact, Environmental Health Perspectives revealed studies that have suggested TDCPP to be a neurotoxic – an endocrine disruptor, and a reproductive toxicant.
3. Health problems are proven. Studies prove that 90 percent of Americans have some level of flame-retardant chemicals in their bodies. In addition, these same toxins are known to accumulate in breast milk and increase the risk for health problems from infertility and birth defects to lower IQ levels and behavioral problems in children.
Research also links many cancers to flame retardant chemicals. Numerous studies also show that flame retardants are linked to thyroid disease.
Insane: More than 80,000 chemicals never fully tested for toxic effects
The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) was originally formed in 1976 to ensure the safety of chemicals used in household items. However, there are 80,000 chemicals available in the United States that have never been fully tested for their toxic effects on human health or the environment.
New laws in a few states make it possible for manufacturers to meet the new standards without the use of flame retardants in household items, major damage has already been done and continues. Many households still use items that have long-term use (sofas, mattresses, and baby products) that contain these dangerous chemicals which cause chronic disease.
Further, the laws have not actually banned flame retardant use by manufacturers. In truth, the laws allow manufacturers to decide how to meet the new standards – whether it’s with flame retardant chemicals or something else. With chronic disease on the rise since the 1970s, TCSA reform is desperately needed.
About the author: Abby Campbell is a medical, health, and nutrition research writer. She’s dedicated to helping people live a healthy lifestyle in all aspects – physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Abby practices, writes, and coaches on natural preventive care, nutritional medicine, and complementary and alternative therapy.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
Natural Health 365
Natural Health 365 is a premium source of trending and popular health-related news, science, testimony & research articles on the most up to date and relevant natural health information. The articles on GMOs & other Dangerous Chemicals found herein are meant to inform and advise our site visitors on steering clear of foods and other consumer products that contain Genetically Modified Organisms and/or Chemicals that are DANGEROUS to human health.
Join thousands of daily visitors staying informed and involved on Natural Health 365! We seek out scientific solutions with proven results and it is our mission to keep you up to date on the latest information! Articles range in topic from vaccination overviews to linking specific, common vaccines to the development of autism. We also aim to educate the public on the dangers of vaccines and provide in depth analysis of political vaccination bills.
Read Some of Our Most Popular Articles
Consumer Alert: GMO Apples & Potatoes are a Public Health Risk, Roundup Herbicide & GMOs Destroy Your Digestive System, US Senate Votes to Shut Down GMO Labeling Bill, Monsanto Lies Revealed.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
More Articles on GMOs & Toxic Chemicals
In addition to publishing articles concerning the most up-to-date information on GMO Foods, Research, & Toxic Chemicals that have dangerous and unintended consenquences, we also aim to connect healthy lifestyles, non-GMO diets and balanced consumption of dietary supplements to lifelong health and adding happy years to your life.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that Monsanto is one of the most profitable entities on the planet, while the farmers that make them so successful are barely able to feed their families? Or that mono-cropping erodes our top soil so that no vegetables, grains, or fruits will grow in the wake of a mono-cropped field? Perhaps you didn’t know that organized events to protest Monsanto and their signature chemical, Roundup? You can find all of that information and more right here on Natural Health 365.
Join Our Email List
Each day, visitors sign up for our weekly informative news sent directly to their email or RSS feed agregator. We send out three weekly emails keeping you informed and involved on the latest Natural Health News, information about our FREE SHOWS and updates on your favorite topics including Food & Nutrition, Cancer & Heart Disease, Vaccines & Autism, & – of course – GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals!
You can also check out our VIP member area, The Inner Circle, where you get access to thousands of recorded interview (audio/video), pod casts, & literature by some of the worlds foremost experts on Natural Health and Treatments that could save you thousands! Learn how to REVERSE disease without the use of toxic and expensive medications.
Natural Health 365 also is a venue for webinars on various topics, has a flourishing e-commerce store where you can purchase vitamins, pro biotics, supplements and unique products such as Grazing Goat Whey Protein.
Grazing Goat Whey Protein™ is formulated exclusively for the health-conscious consumer looking for the finest whey protein nutritional supplement on the planet.* Best of all, this goat whey protein comes from goats that graze – 365 days per year – on pesticide and chemical free pastures. No hormones, antibiotics or pesticides are used – ever. This product is non-GMO and gluten free.