Pfizer’s obesity pill hits roadblock with surge of troubling side effects

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

obesity-pill(NaturalHealth365)  In the relentless pursuit of pharmaceutical advancements, it is no surprise that Big Pharma is currently immersed in developing new medications.  However, the nuanced reality is that some of these innovations may carry unforeseen consequences for human well-being.  A case in point is the response to the prevailing global obesity crisis, where major pharmaceutical players like Novo Nordisk, Eli Lilly, and Pfizer are swiftly bringing obesity pills to market.

In the competitive arena for a slice of the lucrative $100 billion weight loss drug market, these industry giants are encountering unforeseen challenges.  The quest to formulate effective obesity pills has, in some instances, given rise to disconcerting adverse effects, adding a layer of complexity to the pharmaceutical landscape.

Is it the end of the road for Pfizer’s weight loss pill?

Pfizer’s brass reluctantly admitted that it would end its danuglipron Phase 3 studies, marking an end to the company’s quest to develop an effective twice-daily dose oral weight-loss medication.  Though there is the potential for the research to be resumed at some point in the future, the pharma giant has pulled the plug for now.

The decision to halt work on danuglipron is especially intriguing as the company also ended the development of another obesity and diabetes medication dubbed lotiglipron.

Danuglipron was halted after a clinical trial revealed its side effects did not justify the reported average weight loss of 8% to 13% by the 32-week mark compared to those who took a placebo.  The shocking truth is the side effects of danuglipron forced more than half the participants to drop out of the study due to unwanted side effects from the medication.

Why popping an obesity pill is NOT the best approach to weight loss

While the pharmaceutical giant’s obesity pill, danuglipron, did yield some degree of weight loss, the methods behind this outcome raise concerns.  It appears that a significant portion of individuals shedding pounds with the medication also endured adverse effects such as diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.

A staggering 73% of those who took the drug in the study reported suffering from nausea, with half of the participants experiencing vomiting.  Adding to the distress, a quarter of the study participants reported dealing with diarrhea.

The pressing question arises: what is the rationale behind pursuing a weight loss pill if the journey is marred by a diminished quality of life?  Regrettably, the trial revealed that those who achieved meaningful weight loss through the drug also experienced a lower quality of life, leading many participants to withdraw from the study.

A better approach to weight loss that doesn’t require Big Pharma pills

If the prospect of daily pills inducing diarrhea, potential nausea, and vomiting doesn’t exactly spark enthusiasm, you’re not alone.  Fortunately, a healthier avenue for weight loss exists – one that embraces a holistic approach to the problem.

As the art of food science refines its craft, the edibles on our plates are becoming increasingly addictive.  Recognizing this reality prompts a shift in our approach to sustenance.  Make a conscientious effort to fuel your body with healthy, organic choices 90% of the time, reserving the remaining 10% for indulging in tasty delights.

Here’s a lesser-known fact: it takes the human body a good 20 minutes to register fullness.  The brain orchestrates a delay in signaling that satiation has occurred, so eat mindfully and adopt a measured pace while eating.

We invite you to share your experiences with weight loss strategies.  Have you found success?  Your story could inspire and guide others – drop it in the comments below.

Sources for this article include: