Toxic chemicals in tap water linked to more than 100,000 cancer cases
(NaturalHealth365) In many parts of the U.S., people rely on municipal drinking water. And, while relying on tap water makes a certain kind of sense due to the cancer concerns over drinking toxic bottled water – there’s still a problem. There’s a growing body of research which confirms a troubling reality: there are cancer-causing chemicals even in tap water.
A recent study from the Environmental Working Group is the first of its kind to conduct a cumulative assessment of cancer risk associated with public drinking water. And, fair warning: their results will make you want to go out and get yourself a high quality water purification system.
Is your tap water loaded with cancer-causing chemicals?
In their study, published in Heliyon, the team of researchers used statistical analysis to calculate the combined impact of exposure to cancer causing chemicals in tap water among 48,363 community water systems across the country.
Here are a few of their main takeaways:
- Tap water – within the U.S. – contains at least 22 contaminants in particular that are associated with increased cancer risk, including radioactive compounds like uranium and radium.
- While most community water systems meet legal standards for contaminant concentrations, research indicates that even at these “legal” levels these contaminants can threaten human health. And some municipal water systems, including Washington D.C., tested positive for carcinogenic contaminants at levels exceeding the legal limit.
- Smaller communities were at greater risk.
- Overall, the presence of carcinogens in tap water is projected to contribute to at least 100,000 cases of cancer across a lifetime. “Decreasing the levels of chemical contaminants in drinking water,” they assert, “represents an important opportunity for protecting public health.”
What does 100,000 cases of cancer over the course of a lifetime mean exactly? Here’s how to make sense of this important statistical projection:
Do NOT ignore the health dangers linked to toxic indoor air. These chemicals - the 'off-gassing' of paints, mattresses, carpets and other home/office building materials - increase your risk of headaches, dementia, heart disease and cancer.
Get the BEST indoor air purification system - at the LOWEST price, exclusively for NaturalHealth365 readers. I, personally use this system in my home AND office. Click HERE to order now - before the sale ends.
In 2018, there were approximately 1.7 million new cases of cancer. Now, let’s assume the typical lifespan is around 70 – 80 years. This would mean that over the course of an average lifetime, tens of millions of cancer cases will occur – and as many as 100,000 of those are expected to be directly related to carcinogenic chemicals in the tap water.
So, what to do with this information? Should we forgo tap water and opt for bottled water instead?
Unfortunately, the statement that bottled water causes cancer actually has some scientific weight to it. You see, a little known fact, most of the bottled water brands manufacture their bottles right before putting the water inside. This virtually guarantees a large amount of BPA will contaminate every bottle sold to the public.
Exposure to chemicals in plastic like BPA – an endocrine disruptor – may cause cancer or even affect fetal brain development in the womb. Even BPA substitutes have been shown to increase breast cancer cell growth.
All told, many brands of bottled water have over 24,000 different chemicals in it, many of which are toxic to humans. So, what’s a health-conscious person to do?
Editor’s note: There’s only one brand of bottled water that’s been tested free of BPA. And, that’s Tourmaline Spring. And, no, I don’t get paid to mention this.
3 tips to reduce your exposure to harmful cancer-causing chemicals in water (and elsewhere)
As you know, reducing your exposure to harmful chemicals will make a significant (positive) impact on your health – over time. These practical tips are a great way to reduce your risk:
- Use a high quality water purification system – which you directly attach to your incoming water supply. Note: Most of the “filter pitchers” are a waste of money and don’t filter out enough of the toxins. We, at NaturalHealth365, have suggested the Berkey water filtration system or (for a step up) a purification system that adds molecular hydrogen. Molecular hydrogen has been shown to neutralize free radical damage in the body – minimizing the negative effects of oxidative stress.
- Obviously, stay away from plastic water bottles rich in BPA. Your health and the environment will thank you. Instead, use a glass, stainless steel or ceramic water bottle.
- Avoid touching carbonless receipts from cash registers or coupons, especially if you’ve recently used a hand sanitizer – since this can increase the absorption of BPA through the skin.
Sources for this article include: