DANGEROUS food additives and chemicals destroy children’s health, experts warn
(NaturalHealth365) Let’s face the harsh reality. While most people recognize that we live in a toxic world, only a few grasp the magnitude of the problem. Environmental toxins cause significant harm to people of all ages; however, children are particularly vulnerable. In fact, there is plenty of evidence revealing children’s unique patterns of exposure to human-made and natural chemicals.
Our kids are under siege by a wide array of toxic compounds, from indoor pollutants, molds, and allergens to food additives and chemicals in our food and water. As a result of such unprecedented toxic exposures, it is not surprising that today almost 50% of children suffer from at least one chronic health condition.
Children are more susceptible to the HEALTH-DESTRUCTIVE effects of toxic chemicals
Food additives and chemicals represent an ominous danger to infants’ and children’s developing systems. Researchers have linked such toxin exposures to severe adverse health effects in children such as asthma, cancer, lead poisoning, congenital, learning, and developmental disabilities.
There are several reasons why children are more susceptible to the adverse health effects triggered by these compounds:
- Children are smaller, which means that the amount of any given chemical in food will be much higher relative to their body weight.
- Children’s detoxification systems are not fully developed and, therefore, less efficient at removing toxins.
- As the main organ systems undergo substantial changes and development, they are more vulnerable to disruptions.
FLAWED LAW and weak enforcement leaves children unprotected and in harm’s way
The 1958 Food Additives Amendment to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), allowed more than 10,000 chemicals to be added to food and food contact materials. Furthermore, as shocking as it may sound, food additives that fall under the “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS) designation are not required to go through any FDA-approval process.
This exemption gives food manufacturers a loophole to add new chemicals without FDA oversight.
Do NOT ignore the health dangers linked to toxic indoor air. These chemicals - the 'off-gassing' of paints, mattresses, carpets and other home/office building materials - increase your risk of nasal congestion, fatigue, poor sleep, skin issues plus many other health issues.
Get the BEST indoor air purification system - at the LOWEST price, exclusively for NaturalHealth365 readers. I, personally use this system in my home AND office. Click HERE to order now - before the sale ends.
While an increasing number of chemicals are secretly added to our food supply, the evidence continues to mount, showing a connection between food additives and disease. Take potassium bromate as an example. Researchers have linked this potent oxidizer that helps bread rise to kidney and thyroid cancers in rodents.
Other countries, including several members of the European Union, have banned potassium bromate in food many years ago. But not the United States. Despite the massive backlash from experts, the FDA refuses to remove potassium bromate from the GRAS list, disregarding the evidence that proves the compound is likely unsafe.
Food additives and chemicals disrupt the body’s hormones
Scientists have confirmed that many chemicals and food additives mimic or interfere with the body’s hormones. Endocrine system disruption is of particularly great concern, especially among children. When such disturbances occur at the time organs are still developing, the effects can have lasting consequences.
The international scientific community has drawn attention to these issues in multiple landmark reports – many of them pointing out the dangers of even low doses of endocrine-disrupting chemicals.
Experts recommend avoiding these chemicals, for adults and children alike. Here are the reasons why:
- Bisphenols are in the lining of most metal cans to prevent corrosion. They have estrogen-like effects and interfere with puberty and fertility.
- Phthalates disrupt hormones and increase the risk of obesity.
- Artificial food colorings make ADHD symptoms worse. Sadly, they are prevalent in all sorts of food products, and especially those marketed for children.
- Nitrates and nitrites interfere with a host of bodily processes, including thyroid function. Researchers also linked nitrites with an increased risk of certain cancers.
Protect your children against the harmful effects of food additives and chemicals
- Educate yourself about food additives and read labels carefully.
- Avoid feeding your children processed foods that have a long list of ingredients.
- Do not microwave food or drinks in plastic containers.
- Cut back on canned foods and drinks, fast food, and processed meats.
- Serve your children plenty of fresh, raw, organic fruits, and vegetables to support their bodies’ natural defenses and ability to detoxify.
While it may feel overwhelming to make these changes all at once, you can start by identifying the biggest offender in your life. Making some simple changes can go a long way in helping you to keep your children safe.
Sources for this article include: