Glutathione is the master antioxidant for optimal health
(NaturalHealth365) Glutathione is much like the body’s unsung hero.
Although it is constantly at work warding off toxins and other disease-producing impurities, it is only recently that this antioxidant has begun garnering attention for its importance to overall human health. But, why?
That’s because more and more scientists see the link between low levels of glutathione and an increased risk of chronic health issues. You see, glutathione works by neutralizing free radicals – while at the same time boosting the immune system and detoxifying the liver, a three-step process contributing to optimal health.
Why do most people have severely depleted glutathione levels, along with other antioxidants?
Due to the overconsumption of heavily-processed foods to over-the-counter medications – the average American body is shockingly low in glutathione. The greater your exposure to toxins, the greater the risk of suffering from depleted amounts of this master antioxidant.
Of course, mental (and emotional) stress is another contributor to depleted supplies of glutathione. In addition, levels of glutathione naturally decline with age, beginning at mid-life. In fact, levels can fall to as low as 50 percent (or more) of what the body needs for optimal health.
Uncontrolled free radical activity poses a serious threat to human health
Free radicals attack the integrity of our cells, leading to a host of health problems. Most chronic health issues have their roots in tissue damage caused by free radicals.
This is why we need antioxidants, like glutathione, to protect the cells from oxidative stress – caused by free radicals. Although glutathione is present throughout the body, its primary location is the liver.
And, while the body also makes use of other antioxidants, such as vitamin C and E – these essential nutrients actually rely heavily on glutathione for regeneration. Most glutathione is created from amino acids. So, be sure to eat lots of organic foods – higher in glutathione or its precursors like, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, peppers, carrots, avocados, squash, spinach and melons.
Never underestimate the healing power of glutathione
Scientists publishing in the New England Journal of Medicine point to evidence that low glutathione levels may actually be behind an increase in free radical induced illnesses that become more common as the body ages. Specifically, these scientists found, that among patients with heart disease, those with low levels of glutathione in their blood were 30 percent more likely to suffer a heart attack than those with optimal levels of the antioxidant.
In a Danish study, 41 centenarians were examined to compare their glutathione levels. The healthiest among them were found to have the highest levels of glutathione – some at levels greater than people many years younger, leading scientists to suggest this antioxidant may hold the key to longevity.
What are the best ways to increase my glutathione levels?
The average American should consume about 250 mg per day, but most people only get about 35 mg.
Here are a few ways to experience the health benefits (and optimal levels) of this powerful antioxidant:
- Eat plenty of glutathione-rich foods, including organic melons, grapefruit, peaches, asparagus and spinach. But be sure to eat them raw when possible, or heat only minimally. Heat, especially from a microwave oven will destroy the antioxidant content.
- Eat foods high in vitamin C, such as organic mangoes and strawberries. This prevents the need for your body to draw on its GSH reserves to make up for a lack of vitamin C.
- Eat foods rich in the amino acid cysteine, including cage-free (organic) eggs, non-GMO whey protein and organic garlic. You will want to choose whey protein made from non-denatured proteins so that the cysteine is more bioavailable. The NaturalHealth365 Store offers the highest-quality, goat whey protein on the market.
- Choose organic produce; purify your water (if needed); avoid refined foods and switch to all-natural cleaning products. This helps to minimize the toxins in the environment that are coming into contact with your body.
- Minimize chronic stress in your life. If you are constantly feeling stressed-out – this will diminish the body’s store of GSH and weaken your ability to avoid disease.
Remember, every cell in our body requires GSH and if the cells get dangerously depleted of GSH – the cells will die. Low glutathione levels will inhibit cellular function – which can lead to heart problems, brain disorders plus many other organ malfunctions. But, the bottom line, this is avoidable.
Editor’s note: The NaturalHealth365 Store offers the finest quality, liposomal glutathione for maximum absorption. Click here to order today.
Sources for this article include;