Essential oils and oral health research
(NaturalHealth365) Let’s clear up one major misconception: Essential oils do not kill all the oral flora like antiseptic mouthwashes do. Thankfully, this is not the case. As with most substances in nature, essential oils work toward harmony in the body, and generally do not create imbalances.
As essential oil expert Robert Tisserand explains with gut bacteria, “Whether [essential oil] constituents might then negatively affect the bowel flora is pure speculation.” Similarly, there is no reason to believe that therapeutic grade essential oils will kill all of the microbes in your mouth.
Editor’s note: Learn more about the many health benefits of essential oils and how they can naturally kill unwanted oral infections. Register now for The Holistic Oral Health Summit to learn more, online and FREE from Sept 28 – Oct 5!
Essential oils proven to help promote oral health
There are several studies that point out the safety of using therapeutic grade essential oils for oral health concerns.
The Journal of International Oral Health, for example, published a wonderful article in 2014 titled “Possible Use of Essential Oils in Dentistry,” which is like a 7-course meal of information evidence-based natural health enthusiasts should feast on!
To sum it up for you, there are 5 key areas that essential oils can help to improve oral health:
Do NOT ignore the health dangers linked to toxic indoor air. These chemicals - the 'off-gassing' of paints, mattresses, carpets and other home/office building materials - increase your risk of headaches, dementia, heart disease and cancer.
Get the BEST indoor air purification system - at the LOWEST price, exclusively for NaturalHealth365 readers. I, personally use this system in my home AND office. Click HERE to order now - before the sale ends.
- Oral hygiene support: Essential oil rinses are found to be equally effective in inhibiting plaque as fluoride. Also, as chlorhexidine causes staining of teeth on long term use, essential oils can be used as an alternative to chlorhexidine rinse. Essential oils have shown to possess antimicrobial activity against subgingival periopathogens too.
- Anxiolytic (Anti-anxiety): Aroma of lavender essential oils is capable of altering emotional states and reducing mild anxiety. It has been reported to be useful in reducing anxiety in dental patients when used in waiting area. It also can reduce the pain of needle insertion. In addition, the use of aromatherapy with natural essential oil of orange has been shown to reduce salivary cortisol and pulse rate due to child anxiety state.
- Wound dressing: According to one study, better therapeutic effects can be achieved from wound dressings containing essential oils like clove to prevent infection.
- Dental implants: Lavender, Melissa and other essential oils have been shown to possess antibiofilm activity. They can be used with dental implants. Treatment of dental implant material surfaces with essential oils has been shown to inhibit biofilm production.
- Natural preservative: Essentials oils have the ability to kill microorganism strains than extracts and methylparaben in cosmetic emulsions. Similarly, they can be used to replace methylparaben altogether – which is used as preservative in various dental products.
Interesting essential oil uses for oral health
There are also some other interesting facts about essential oils you may find interesting:
- The go-to antimicrobial oil is clove.
- A blend of geranium, lavender, tea tree, and peppermint helps improve the oral health status of hospice patients with terminal cancer.
- Because brushing is not recommended for people with mouth ulcers, fever, indigestion – as well as for patients with the tendency to asthma, cough, thirst and vomiting – oil pulling with essential oils can clean the oral cavity and treat halitosis (bad breath) and gingivitis.
So, what are the best oils to use for oral health?
Although several make the list, clove, orange and peppermint usually top the charts. Specifically, folk remedies oftentimes use these essential oils to combat the following threats:
- Blood blisters = lavender
- Canker sores = clove and lavender
- Halitosis = peppermint
- Plaque = virtually any can be used because they are all antimicrobial
- Sensitive teeth = clove and orange
- Whitening = clove, orange, rosemary, cinnamon, eucalyptus
About the author: Featured in the Holistic Oral Health Summit and founder of DrEricZ.com, Dr. Eric L. Zielinski is a sought-after natural health educator, motivational speaker and author. Inspired by the timeless principles in the Bible, Dr. Z’s mission is to provide people with simple, evidenced-based tools that they need to achieve the Abundant Life. He specializes in natural remedies and empowering life strategies, and coaches clients locally in the greater Atlanta area as well as globally through his Abundant Life Health Coaching programs.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
Natural Health 365
Natural Health 365 is a premium source of trending and popular health-related news, science, testimony & research articles on the most up to date and relevant natural health information. The articles on GMOs & other Dangerous Chemicals found herein are meant to inform and advise our site visitors on steering clear of foods and other consumer products that contain Genetically Modified Organisms and/or Chemicals that are DANGEROUS to human health.
Join thousands of daily visitors staying informed and involved on Natural Health 365! We seek out scientific solutions with proven results and it is our mission to keep you up to date on the latest information! Articles range in topic from vaccination overviews to linking specific, common vaccines to the development of autism. We also aim to educate the public on the dangers of vaccines and provide in depth analysis of political vaccination bills.
Read Some of Our Most Popular Articles
Consumer Alert: GMO Apples & Potatoes are a Public Health Risk, Roundup Herbicide & GMOs Destroy Your Digestive System, US Senate Votes to Shut Down GMO Labeling Bill, Monsanto Lies Revealed.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
More Articles on GMOs & Toxic Chemicals
In addition to publishing articles concerning the most up-to-date information on GMO Foods, Research, & Toxic Chemicals that have dangerous and unintended consenquences, we also aim to connect healthy lifestyles, non-GMO diets and balanced consumption of dietary supplements to lifelong health and adding happy years to your life.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that Monsanto is one of the most profitable entities on the planet, while the farmers that make them so successful are barely able to feed their families? Or that mono-cropping erodes our top soil so that no vegetables, grains, or fruits will grow in the wake of a mono-cropped field? Perhaps you didn’t know that organized events to protest Monsanto and their signature chemical, Roundup? You can find all of that information and more right here on Natural Health 365.
Join Our Email List
Each day, visitors sign up for our weekly informative news sent directly to their email or RSS feed agregator. We send out three weekly emails keeping you informed and involved on the latest Natural Health News, information about our FREE SHOWS and updates on your favorite topics including Food & Nutrition, Cancer & Heart Disease, Vaccines & Autism, & – of course – GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals!
You can also check out our VIP member area, The Inner Circle, where you get access to thousands of recorded interview (audio/video), pod casts, & literature by some of the worlds foremost experts on Natural Health and Treatments that could save you thousands! Learn how to REVERSE disease without the use of toxic and expensive medications.
Natural Health 365 also is a venue for webinars on various topics, has a flourishing e-commerce store where you can purchase vitamins, pro biotics, supplements and unique products such as Grazing Goat Whey Protein.
Grazing Goat Whey Protein™ is formulated exclusively for the health-conscious consumer looking for the finest whey protein nutritional supplement on the planet.* Best of all, this goat whey protein comes from goats that graze – 365 days per year – on pesticide and chemical free pastures. No hormones, antibiotics or pesticides are used – ever. This product is non-GMO and gluten free.