Over-the-counter sleeping pills linked to dementia
(NaturalHealth365) Due to diminishing neurons within the aging brain, older people tend to have a difficult time sleeping. Yet, researchers have determined that people of all ages have either “too much wake drive” or “too little sleep drive” that can be related to several factors: psychiatric or medical conditions, unhealthy sleep habits, specific substances and activities, and certain biological factors.
Whatever the reasons, people are relying on over-the-counter sleeping pills to get the rest they need. But, are they really safe or not?
Think twice before taking the next sleeping pill
The types of medication in question include those that have an “anticholinergic” effect. Anticholinergic medications are used to treat a variety of conditions, including sleep problems. However, new research is showing that anticholinergic drugs significantly raise the dementia risk for elderly adults. (But, why?)
Anticholinergic drugs inhibit a crucial brain chemical called acetylcholine that attaches to nerve cells. This brain chemical is essential for your central and peripheral nervous system.
Without adequate amounts of acetylcholine, bodily functions are limited such as muscle contraction which helps you blink your eyes and tie your shoes. Brain cells are also diminished and symptoms such as forgetfulness and confusion set in without acetylcholine.
Prolonged use of sleeping pills will raise the risk of dementia
According to a new study published in the JAMA Internal Medicine, side effects from anticholinergic drugs were thought to be reversible when a person stops taking them. But, researchers have also determined, these medications do have a lasting effect on those who use them on a regular basis.
Do NOT ignore the health dangers linked to toxic indoor air. These chemicals - the 'off-gassing' of paints, mattresses, carpets and other home/office building materials - increase your risk of headaches, dementia, heart disease and cancer.
Get the BEST indoor air purification system - at the LOWEST price, exclusively for NaturalHealth365 readers. I, personally use this system in my home AND office. Click HERE to order now - before the sale ends.
The study estimated that people taking 50 milligrams of a sleep aid (diphenhydramine) per day for more than three years would be at greater risk for developing dementia. However, more studies are being conducted to determine whether several episodes of short-term use contribute to a greater risk of brain issues.
Recently, The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry reported that anticholinergic exposure represents a potentially modifiable risk factor for poor attention, working memory, and physical function. Rehabilitation is also longer for those affected.
Be warned: These drugs can cause serious health problems
Anticholinergics aren’t only prescribed for insomnia or sleeping disorders. They are prescribed for numerous health conditions in older people. Seasonal allergies, overactive bladder, and depression are just a few of the health issues that anticholinergic drugs treat.
The following is a list of medications that were used in the study that determined a link between anticholinergics and dementia. If you’re taking one of these medications, be sure to discuss alternative treatments with your physician.
In fact, the National Institutes of Health (NIH) recommends treating older people with alternatives to anticholinergics when possible. (get ready – it’s a BIG list):
- Amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip)
- Atropine (Atreza, AtroPen, Sal-Tropine)
- Benztropine (Cogentin)
- Chlorpheniramine (Aller-Chlor, Allergy Relief, Allergy Time, C.P.M., Chlo-Amine, Chlor-Mal, Chlorpheniramine (Allergy), Chlor-Phenit, ChlorTan, Chlor-Trimeton, Chlor-Al Rel, Chlor-Phen, Chlorphen, Chlor-Trimeton Allergy SR, Ed ChlorPed, Ed-Chlor Ped Jr, Ed-Chlortan, Ed Chlor-Tan, Efidac-24 Chlorpheniramine, Pediox-S, P-Tann, PediaTan, Pharbechlor, QDALL AR, Ridramin, TanaHist-PD, Triaminic Allergy, Wal-finate)
- Chlorpromazine (Ormazine, Throzine, Thorazine Spansule)
- Clomipramine (Anafranil)
- Clozapine (Clozaril, FazaClo, Versacloz, Clopine, CloZAPine Synthon, Denzapine, Zaponex)
- Cyclobenzaprine (Amrix, Comfort Pac with Cyclobenzaprine, Fexmid, Flexeril)
- Cyproheptadine (Periactin)
- Desipramine (Norpramin)
- Dexchlorpheniramine (Polaramine, Polaramine Repetabs)
- Dicyclomine (Bentyl, Debetn, Dicyclocot)
- Diphenhydramine (Allermax, Banophen, Benadryl, Compoz Nighttime Sleep Aid, Diphedryl, Diphenhist, Dytuss, Nytol QuickCaps, Silphen Cough, Simply Sleep, Sleepinal, Sominex, Theraflu Thin Strips Multi Symptom, Tranquil, Triaminic Thin Strips Allergy, Twilite, Unisom Sleepgels Maximum Strength, Valu-Dryl, Z-Sleep, plus many others)
- Doxepin (SINEquan)
- Fesoterodine (Toviaz)
- Hydroxyzine (Atarax, Rezine, Vistacon, Vistacot, Vistaject-50, Vistaril, Vistaril IM, Vistazine, Vistazine 50)
- Hyoscyamine (A-Spas S/L, Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Cystospaz-M, Donnamar, Ed Spaz, HyoMax, HyoMax DT, HyoMax FT, HyoMax SL, HyoMax SR, Hyosol, Hyospaz, Hyosyne, IB-Stat, Levbid, Levsin, Levsin SL, Levsinex SR, NuLev, Nulev, Oscimin, Spasdel, Symax Duotab, Symax FasTab, Symax SL, Symax SR)
- Imipramine (Tofranil, Tofranil-PM)
- Meclizine (Antivert, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Meclicot, Medivert, Ru-Vert-M, Meni-D)
- Nortriptyline (Aventyl HCI, Pamelor)
- Olanzapine (ZyPREXA, ZyPREXA Zydis)
- Orphenadrine (Antiflex, Banflex, Flexoject, Flexon, Myolin, Norflex, Norflex Injectable, Orfro, Orphenate)
- Oxybutynin (Ditropan XL, Urotrol)
- Paroxetine (Brisdelle, Paxil, Paxil CR, Pexeva)
- Perphenazine (Trilafon)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine)
- Promethazine (Phenergan)
- Protriptyline (Vivactil)
- Pseudoephedrine HCI (Chlor Trimeton Nasal Decongestant, Contac Cold, Drixoral Decongestant Non-Drowsy, Elixsure Decongestant, Entex, Genaphed, Kid Kare Drops, Nasofed, Seudotabs, Silfedrine, Sudafed, Sudafed 12-Hour, Sudafed 24-Hour, Sudafed Children’s Nasal Decongestant, Sudodrin, SudoGest, SudoGest 12 Hour, Suphedrin, Triaminic Softchews Allergy Congestion, Unifed)
- Scopolamine (Maldemar)
- Thioridazine (Mellaril, Mellaril-S)
- Tolterodine (Detrol, Detrol LA)
- Trifluoperazine (Stelazine)
- Trimipramine (Surmontil)
- Triprolidine (Histex PD Drops, Histex Syrup, Vanahist PD, Zymine, Zymine XR, Tripohist)
I know, it’s a crazy long list … so, now, are there any alternatives to this toxic list of drugs?
The simple answer is yes! You can improve your sleep naturally without the need for dangerous medications.
Sleep disorders are a growing epidemic throughout the ‘modern’ world. If you have trouble sleeping or suffer from insomnia, opting for a natural method will help you avoid the negative effects of anticholinergic drugs.
First, be sure to reduce your risks for sleep disorders by putting away any electronics that produce artificial lights at least two hours before you plan on hitting the sheets. You can also look into blue light therapy to improve your sleep.
In addition, for some people, taking a natural supplement that helps with sleep (such as melatonin) may resolve sleep anxiety without reducing acetylcholine – the necessary brain chemical to help you function. Of course, regular habits of yoga, meditation, baths, and herbal teas can help relax the body before bedtime. For most people, it’s best to avoid vigorous exercise (late at night) or get involved with ‘intense’ projects (or discussions) before bedtime.
Finally, to say the obvious, a healthy diet is so important and, above all, avoid eating sugary foods – 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. If your sleep problems persist – seek the help of a well-trained, naturopathic physician.
Editor’s note: Get INSTANT access to the Alzheimer’s and Dementia Summit to discover the best ways to prevent and reverse Alzheimer’s and dementia despite what you’ve been told by conventional medicine. Learn more.
About the author: Abby Campbell is a medical, health, and nutrition research writer. She’s dedicated to helping people live a healthy lifestyle in all aspects – physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Abby practices, writes, and coaches on natural preventive care, nutritional medicine, and complementary and alternative therapy.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
Natural Health 365
Natural Health 365 is a premium source of trending and popular health-related news, science, testimony & research articles on the most up to date and relevant natural health information. The articles on GMOs & other Dangerous Chemicals found herein are meant to inform and advise our site visitors on steering clear of foods and other consumer products that contain Genetically Modified Organisms and/or Chemicals that are DANGEROUS to human health.
Join thousands of daily visitors staying informed and involved on Natural Health 365! We seek out scientific solutions with proven results and it is our mission to keep you up to date on the latest information! Articles range in topic from vaccination overviews to linking specific, common vaccines to the development of autism. We also aim to educate the public on the dangers of vaccines and provide in depth analysis of political vaccination bills.
Read Some of Our Most Popular Articles
Consumer Alert: GMO Apples & Potatoes are a Public Health Risk, Roundup Herbicide & GMOs Destroy Your Digestive System, US Senate Votes to Shut Down GMO Labeling Bill, Monsanto Lies Revealed.
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
More Articles on GMOs & Toxic Chemicals
In addition to publishing articles concerning the most up-to-date information on GMO Foods, Research, & Toxic Chemicals that have dangerous and unintended consenquences, we also aim to connect healthy lifestyles, non-GMO diets and balanced consumption of dietary supplements to lifelong health and adding happy years to your life.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that Monsanto is one of the most profitable entities on the planet, while the farmers that make them so successful are barely able to feed their families? Or that mono-cropping erodes our top soil so that no vegetables, grains, or fruits will grow in the wake of a mono-cropped field? Perhaps you didn’t know that organized events to protest Monsanto and their signature chemical, Roundup? You can find all of that information and more right here on Natural Health 365.
Join Our Email List
Each day, visitors sign up for our weekly informative news sent directly to their email or RSS feed agregator. We send out three weekly emails keeping you informed and involved on the latest Natural Health News, information about our FREE SHOWS and updates on your favorite topics including Food & Nutrition, Cancer & Heart Disease, Vaccines & Autism, & – of course – GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals!
You can also check out our VIP member area, The Inner Circle, where you get access to thousands of recorded interview (audio/video), pod casts, & literature by some of the worlds foremost experts on Natural Health and Treatments that could save you thousands! Learn how to REVERSE disease without the use of toxic and expensive medications.
Natural Health 365 also is a venue for webinars on various topics, has a flourishing e-commerce store where you can purchase vitamins, pro biotics, supplements and unique products such as Grazing Goat Whey Protein.
Grazing Goat Whey Protein™ is formulated exclusively for the health-conscious consumer looking for the finest whey protein nutritional supplement on the planet.* Best of all, this goat whey protein comes from goats that graze – 365 days per year – on pesticide and chemical free pastures. No hormones, antibiotics or pesticides are used – ever. This product is non-GMO and gluten free.