9 reasons to avoid antibiotics for life
(NaturalHealth365) Heralded as wonder drugs, beginning with the discovery of penicillin in 1928, antibiotics continue to play a major role in conventional medicine. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, at least 150 million antibiotic prescriptions are written in the United States, every year, many of them for infants and children. Other studies suggest that figure to be well over 200 million dosages!
Despite their ‘cure-all’ reputation, there is a darker side to antibiotic use that has slowly begun to reveal itself in recent years. In addition to problems associated with antibiotic resistance, an alarming number of antibiotics are being traced to severe side effects, even premature death.
The dangerous side effects of antibiotics exposed
While antibiotics are associated with several serious health problems, physicians continue to prescribe them at what some concerned experts have described as “alarming rates.” It is estimated that pediatricians prescribe over $500 million worth of antibiotics annually to treat ear infections alone. Can you believe it?!
Here are nine reasons to avoid antibiotic use:
1. Antibiotics treat symptoms, not causes. When antibiotics are administered to ward off bacterial infection, the body’s natural defense mechanisms like fever are intercepted. This prevents things like fever from their natural process of removing toxins from the body. This can impair long-term health.
2. Antibiotic use has been linked to cancer. The International Journal of Cancer has reported on a study of 3 million people tracked for six years. Those who had reported taking antibiotics between two and five times in the two years preceding the study were 27 percent more likely to develop cancer during the course of the study than those who had taken no antibiotics. Those who had reported taken six or more prescriptions showed a 37 percent greater risk of developing cancer. A National Cancer Institute study published in the Journal of American Medical Association showed similar results.
3. Deadly allergic reactions. Fatal reactions to antibiotics like penicillin are not unheard of, while other allergic reactions to entire groups of antibiotics are shockingly common, many of them leading to symptoms that can become life-threatening. In addition to allergic reactions to the drugs themselves, most antibiotics contain impurities, such as color agents, that can cause allergic reactions.
4. Development of antibiotic-resistant “super bugs.” Since coming to light in a 1992 article in Science Magazine, the development of drug-resistant bacterial infections, from staph to pneumonia, can be traced to increased use of antibiotics. These new “super bugs” can be extremely difficult to treat. However, high doses of vitamin C can act as an antioxidant in combatting infection.
5. Overpopulation of candida albicans. This common yeast typically exists peacefully in the gut and other parts of the body. But when antibiotics interfere with other intestinal flora normally keeping this yeast in check, it can become overgrown, resulting in conditions such as diarrhea or yeast infection. Chronic forms of muco-cutaneous yeast infection can prove serious, even fatal.
6. Chronic fatigue syndrome. This newly recognized disorder comes about as a result of weakened immunity and chronic viral illness. Repeated antibiotic use is a major risk factor for this condition.
7. Disruption of intestinal bacteria. The human intestine has a delicate community of helpful microbes, involved in everything from digestion to immunity. Antimicrobials, particularly broad-spectrum antibiotics, can have a destructive impact on the normal ecology of the gut, leaving the body open to infection, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, inflammation of the gut, malabsorption and food allergies.
8. Weakening of the immune system. Research has shown that patients treated with antibiotics have an increased rate of repeat infections. Antibiotics work by blocking certain enzymatic processes of bacteria, as well as by altering mineral balances. However, normal cells are also affected by this activity, which may contribute to the weakened immune response seen in patients receiving antibiotics.
9. Nutrient loss and mineral deficiency. Antibiotics, through diarrhea, can cause a loss of essential minerals. Devastation of intestinal bacteria can also reduce the synthesis of certain vitamins in the intestines. The result can be a contributing factor to poor nutrition and a weakened body chemistry.
The problems brought about by antibiotic resistance and other threats posed by antibiotic use underscore the importance of relying on antibiotic alternatives to combat infection and illness. Perhaps the strongest weapon for curing many drug-resistant illnesses naturally is high vitamin C dosage therapy, a powerful antioxidant.
Editor’s note: To learn more about the best ways to use vitamin C – take a look at the “multi-protocol.”
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
Natural Health 365
Natural Health 365 is a premium source of trending and popular health-related news, science, testimony & research articles on the most up to date and relevant natural health information. The articles on GMOs & other Dangerous Chemicals found herein are meant to inform and advise our site visitors on steering clear of foods and other consumer products that contain Genetically Modified Organisms and/or Chemicals that are DANGEROUS to human health.
Join thousands of daily visitors staying informed and involved on Natural Health 365! We seek out scientific solutions with proven results and it is our mission to keep you up to date on the latest information! Articles range in topic from vaccination overviews to linking specific, common vaccines to the development of autism. We also aim to educate the public on the dangers of vaccines and provide in depth analysis of political vaccination bills.
Read Some of Our Most Popular Articles
Consumer Alert: GMO Apples & Potatoes are a Public Health Risk, Roundup Herbicide & GMOs Destroy Your Digestive System, US Senate Votes to Shut Down GMO Labeling Bill, Monsanto Lies Revealed.
GMO & Dangerous Chemicals are two of our major post categories on www.naturalhealth365.com and contain over 90 articles that cover a wide range of subjects; including but not limited to…
GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals
More Articles on GMOs & Toxic Chemicals
In addition to publishing articles concerning the most up-to-date information on GMO Foods, Research, & Toxic Chemicals that have dangerous and unintended consenquences, we also aim to connect healthy lifestyles, non-GMO diets and balanced consumption of dietary supplements to lifelong health and adding happy years to your life.
DID YOU KNOW?
Did you know that Monsanto is one of the most profitable entities on the planet, while the farmers that make them so successful are barely able to feed their families? Or that mono-cropping erodes our top soil so that no vegetables, grains, or fruits will grow in the wake of a mono-cropped field? Perhaps you didn’t know that organized events to protest Monsanto and their signature chemical, Roundup? You can find all of that information and more right here on Natural Health 365.
Join Our Email List
Each day, visitors sign up for our weekly informative news sent directly to their email or RSS feed agregator. We send out three weekly emails keeping you informed and involved on the latest Natural Health News, information about our FREE SHOWS and updates on your favorite topics including Food & Nutrition, Cancer & Heart Disease, Vaccines & Autism, & – of course – GMOs & Dangerous Chemicals!
You can also check out our VIP member area, The Inner Circle, where you get access to thousands of recorded interview (audio/video), pod casts, & literature by some of the worlds foremost experts on Natural Health and Treatments that could save you thousands! Learn how to REVERSE disease without the use of toxic and expensive medications.
Natural Health 365 also is a venue for webinars on various topics, has a flourishing e-commerce store where you can purchase vitamins, pro biotics, supplements and unique products such as Grazing Goat Whey Protein.
Grazing Goat Whey Protein™ is formulated exclusively for the health-conscious consumer looking for the finest whey protein nutritional supplement on the planet.* Best of all, this goat whey protein comes from goats that graze – 365 days per year – on pesticide and chemical free pastures. No hormones, antibiotics or pesticides are used – ever. This product is non-GMO and gluten free.